How strong is quartz glass?
- Properties of Fused Silica/Quartz Glass
| ||Property ||Value |
|General ||Density ||2.23 |
|Mechanical || Design Tensile Strength ||48 |
|Design Compressive strength ||1100 |
|Young's Modulus ||72 |
What is quartz glass used for?
Major applications of quartz glass products include both the lighting and the semiconductor industry. In the lighting products, quartz glass is widely used in high-temperature arc and filament lamps requiring high purity to minimize devitrification and provide optimum sag resistance.
What temp does quartz glass melt?
approximately 1600 °C, quartz melts at approximately 1600 °C forming a tacky liquid. In the course of melting, many silicon-oxygen bonds are broken.
Can quartz be used to make glass?
Quartz sand is used in the production of container glass, flat plate glass, specialty glass, and fiberglass.
Is glass harder than quartz?
Quartz (hardness 7) is harder than glass (5.5), so it will scratch the glass.
What is the difference between quartz and quartz glass?
As an amorphous substance, glass has a random molecular structure, while quartz has a symmetrical molecular structure. Quartz can be subject to greater temperature and pressure as compared to glass. Both quartz and glass are utilized for electrical purposes;glass is an insulator, while quartz is a conductor.
What are the 4 types of glass?
There are four main types or strengths of glass:
1) Annealed Glass. Annealed glass is a basic product formed from the annealing stage of the float process.
2) Heat Strengthened Glass. Heat Strengthened Glass is semi tempered or semitoughened glass.
3) Tempered or Toughened Glass.
4) Laminated Glass.
Is Tempered glass stronger than laminate?
While considering the strength to withstand breakage, tempered glass is considered to bestronger than laminated glass.
Does tempered glass break easily?
Although tempered glasses don't easily break. The impact can break it. For example, atempered screen protector can handle low drops. But dropping it from a higher altitude and with more force tends to create cracks and scratches.
Is quartz transparent to UV?
Fused Quartz is normally transparent. features high transparency within ultraviolet and visible regions. It has no absorption bands within 170-250nm wavelength interval. It has an intensive OH-absorption band at 2600-2800nm wavelength range.
Quartz Tube & Rod
Quartz tube products are engineered to optimize performance or economy for specific applications. Our quartz tubes are available in clear fused quartz glass as well as synthetic fused silica.
VY Optoelectronics Co.,Ltd. carries a wide range of sizes to cover applications such as general lighting, laser flash lamps, digital projection, semiconductor (lithography/cleaning), UV disinfection, and UV curing. Materials are available as standard stock items or custom fabrication with precision accuracy.
In addition to lamp applications, VY Optoelectronics Co.,Ltd. can provide you with precision glass tube and glass rod for medical, electronic, and optical communications, as well as scientific applications. Whether your application demands high performance or economy, we have a material choice for you.
Special properties of Quartz Glass:
• Extreme wide spectral transmission range from deep UV to middle IR (wider than all other glasses).
• Extreme high optical transmission and low optical absorption.
• Low variation and disturbance of the refractive index in one solid piece and optical homogeneity from one melt to the next (reproducibility).
• High resistance to high intensity laser radiation, which also applies to the UV spectral range (e.g. excimer laser).
• High application temperature 1200 degrees C— almost four times higher than ordinary glass.
• Low thermal expansion coefficient resulting in an extremely high temperature shock resistance allowing rapid heating & cooling.